So I have struggled with my motion builder and 3DsMax for over 4 weeks now, and I have finally figured out how to work both programs and be ready to go with my project. I have had so much trouble rigging my skeleton and importing the video into motion builder, but I have now done it and am finally animating, which isnt taking a long as I first thought. I like using motion builder when it doesnt crash on the uni computers. Here is a picture of my skeleton with its sword in 3DsMax that I made myself.
I created the sword by using to cylinders and turbo smoothing them both. Then I exported the whole file into motion builder and parented the sword to the skeleton, so when the hand moves, so does the sword.
I have decided that I am not going to use a sword or shield for my skeleton, as I cant parent them to the skeleton without corrupting the skeleton form, so I will just do my best to make the skeleton look like it is attacking my character with its bare hands/bones.
I animated the first shot of my sequence in motion builder and the animating was fine, I just imported the wrong size video, so when I tried to key out in after effects, it didnt match up. So I will know now to use a back plate for my HD video, so everything will hopefully match up. The good thing is that the skeleton in after effects looks quite good in the footage, and can pass off with looking like it is in the film. I just need to use bright and contrast to make it look more realistic after I have animated all of the required footage. Here is a picture to show you the skeleton in the scene.
I have finished my project! Finally! With time to spare! I had loads of trouble with animating everything and importing it into after effects, but I got through it and I can say that I have done my best. I am quite pleased with the overall film. I rendered it out as a quicktime movie and used the H.264 compressor. I also rendered it in HD. Here is the video and I hope you guys like it as much as I do! Freaks me out with the jerkiness though lol